Thursday, July 21, 2011

Week 2

Okay so...let's just start with the number I suppose.


Starting weight: 272 lbs.
Current weight: 266 lbs.
Weekly loss: 0 lbs.
Total loss: 6 lbs.

Minus zero.  Obviously not what I hoped for but as the week went on it was what I expected.

According to Weight Watchers, if you stay within your allotted points for the week you will lose 1-2 pounds per week.  So why did eating a lower amount of calories all week not produce any change this week?  I know that I need to compound exercise with healthy eating but I've read over and over again that diet is more important for losing weight (and exercise for maintaining weight).  Hopefully after the initial shock of dropping 6 pounds the first week, my body will adjust to the fact that it's losing weight time this week.

In the past this is the point where I would usually throw in the towel.  I would have a great first week then lose nothing the second week and decide that I am destined to be fat for the rest of my life.  I would give up now because the thought of reaching the end of week 3 with no results would depress me even more.  But this time I am going to make a life change.  Which means that I don't beat myself up over week 2 and I don't give up.  Instead, I examine what went right and what went wrong, then keep moving forward with a new plan.

What went right:  I continued to eat really well this week.  I planned ahead for the outings I took this week. I brought watermelon to the movies, packed a PB roll-up and an apple for my day trip, and made good choices when eating out.

What went wrong:  I was quite busy this week and made no effort to fit in any physical activity.  It has been super hot all week which makes getting outside to exercise even harder.

Moving forward my plan is to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity at least 4 days between today and next Thursday.  I know if I am serious about losing weight I should commit to at least an hour a day 7 days a week.  But I don't think that is being realistic for me at this point.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! After very big losses, you can sometimes expect maintains (or even little gains!). Up the exercise a little at a time - anything that's an improvement will show results, and increase when you feel ready. You want it to be a sustainable activity, something you enjoy and can keep up without dreading it. So a little at a time is perfect. (Also, even I don't do 7 days a week - rest days are just as important as workouts, especially in the beginning. I take 1-2 days off of the gym per week.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...