Thursday, August 11, 2011

Week 5

I had a tough time this week.  I ate my way through the weekend, watching movies and shirking all forms of exercise.  When I stepped on the scale on Monday I was disappointed at what seems to have become a habit over the last two weeks.  I do my official weigh in on Thursday morning then I eat until Sunday.  

I realized this past week that cheat meals and days are acting as a catalyst for a weekend free-for-all.  I am obsessed with pasta and could eat it forever and ever.  I tried limiting myself to one pasta dish a week but the result of that was that I would eat as much pasta as I could, knowing that I wouldn't allow myself to have it again for a whole week.

While I know that pasta is definitely my weakness, I am not ready to eliminate it from my diet altogether.  Perhaps in the future I will decide that it is worth giving up pasta.  That I want to be thin and healthy more than I want to eat pasta.  But for now my mindset is "don't do anything on a diet that you can't/won't do for the rest of your life."  And there is no way that I will ever stop eating pasta forever.

Rather than allowing myself cheat meals or cheat days, I am going to attempt the moderation route.  One 2-oz serving of pasta once or twice a week (with a protein and a veggie of course!).  What I am slowly coming to realize is that losing weight is an individual process.  I need to learn what works for me.  And when something doesn't work, I need to recognize my mistakes and chart a new course.

With that said, I would have put money on me posting my first weight gain this week.  I ate poorly through Sunday and aside from walking around the mall a few times, I did no exercise.  Somehow, the Scale Gods were being kind this week and I weighed in at:


Starting weight:  272 lbs.
Current weight:  258.7 lbs.  
Weekly loss:  2.8 lbs.
Total loss:  13.3 lbs.

   

1 comment:

  1. I love pasta, too. I cut it out entirely at first but have started adding it back into my weekly menus. Two ounces, measured. The trick to pasta, I think, is to realize it's the side dish and not the main course. When I have pasta for dinner, it's covered in veggies and lean meat. I can still enjoy the pasta and feel fuller thanks to all the produce.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...